Black Bean, Quinoa, Sweet Potato Stew
This recipe that I got from Sweet Peas and Saffron (https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow-cooker-black-bean-quinoa-sweet-potato-stew/) is honestly the most amazing recipe. I made it for the second time the other day and it turned out just as great as the first time. It can be a really easy and cheap dinner and it is so filling and perfect for Canadian winters.
Because this is supposed to be a cheap supper idea for those struggling financially, I am going to list the prices of all the ingredients at a local store so you can get a sense of just how cheap it is.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes cubed– You do not have to do sweet potatoes. They are usually more expensive than regular ;potatoes and regular red or white potatoes will do just fine here. A sweet potato is around $4.00
- 341 ml can of corn- I usually don’t like corn in things but I make an exception for this stew. Make sure you just buy regular kerneled corn. Don’t buy cream corn. I really had to look to make sure I was buying just kernels! $1.50
- 540 ml can of black beans– You need to drain the liquid out of these and rinse them before you throw them in. I don’t know what happens if you don’t rinse them but I’m betting the liquid would add a VERY strong bean flavour. $2.00
- 540 ml can diced tomatoes– My store only sells a 796 ml can of this and I pour the whole thing in. There’s no reason to waste. $1.89
- 1 cup red onion, diced– This is about half a red onion- $1.43 (because we’re only using half it’s really only .72 cents!
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbp chili powder
- 4-5 cups broth– I like to use campbell’s chicken broth but you could use anything. If you are a vegetarian/ you could use vegetable broth. I use one 900ml container which is 4 cups. $2.50
- ⅔ cup uncooked quinoa– This is the most expensive ingredient. A 2lb bag of quinoa is about $13.00. You can sub this for rice I’m sure but I’m not sure if it would hold up in the crock pot as well, it may get soggy. If you are adding rice you might be better off to cook it in a pot and add it into the stew later. If this is the case, reduce the amount of broth you’re using. Because we aren’t using much quinoa I’m going to put this price at $5.00 which I still think is a bit of an overestimation. I usually use a full cup of quinoa as well because I like it to be noticeable.
All you have to do now is throw this all into the crock pot and leave it on low for 8 hours! I like to top my individual portions with cheese, sour cream, and some lime juice but you can definitely eat it as is!
- Buy ingredients that are no name brand and they will be cheaper
- Replace sweet potatoes with regular potatoes
- Cook rice and add it at the end instead of buying quinoa. Reduce the amount of broth you are using. Maybe by a whole cup.
- Spices are expensive. You don’t need to go out and buy spices. If you don’t have any of these spices on hand just use salt and pepper. If you have different spices, play around with them and see what you like.
= $1.76 per serving
You can bring the cost of this down even more if you try. I didn’t include the price of cheese, sour cream, or lime but that’s all optional.
I really hope that this is helpful to some people who are maybe struggling financially and are worried about eating for the week. I haven’t been in that position but sometimes I worry about people when they tell me how little money they have saved. I also know, as someone who has worked minimum wage jobs, that it would be very hard to support yourself, let alone a family on that kind of income.
Thank you so much for reading my blog, I hope you will follow/ subscribe to my blog so that you can keep seeing more content! If you would like more recipes like this please let me know! I know that it is not my original recipe but I’ve made it a few times and made some modifications and I really liked it so I wanted to share it with you. I am totally not trying to steal any content from Sweet Peas and Saffron so please click the link to her blog and check it out!