I did a fair bit of meal prepping this Sunday, a fair bit more than I usually do. For the last few months I’ve been trying to be a lot better about having food on hand to eat because it prevents me from buying takeout which is as bad for my health as it is for my wallet. These are some of the things that I did to prepare for the work week.
- Cut up veggies
- 1 bunch of celery ( I don’t know how many sticks of celery this was. Maybe 10?)
- 3 lbs of carrots ( I did not need anywhere near this much but I bought them a while ago and we didn’t eat them so I needed to stop putting it off and just cut them. It was a lot. More than the two of us could eat in a week- especially since I hate carrots. I know this is a strong sentiment but I try them every time we buy them just to see if I’m imagining it and they’re actually a really good vegetable. Nope.
- 2 heads of broccoli ( These were on sale. Normally I would get broccoli and cauliflower but the cauliflower florets are over $5.00 while the broccoli was on sale for only $2.00. I just broke these up into smaller pieces to eat after I washed them.
- 1 yellow pepper. I probably didn’t need to buy this but I did it to have a bit more variety since I don’t eat carrots. It was also pretty expensive ( over two dollars).
- Hummus– I bought a container of hummus because who likes to eat vegetables on their own. I like the roasted garlic kind. I also buy no name because it’s cheaper.
- Cooked ground beef. We had probably over a pound of ground beef frozen in the freezer so we cooked that up to make taco bowls for lunches for the week.
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce– I washed and cut two heads of lettuce. This won’t last us a whole week but if I cut it all at once it starts to brown by the end of the week.
- Tomato- I diced up a couple of tomatoes for the taco bowls
- Green onions
- Shredded marble cheese
I store all of the ingredients in separate containers and then assemble the bowls before work in the morning.
I didn’t do any supper prep this week because we have stew left over from last week and perogies in the freezer so we should be good on that front. As for breakfast, I usually don’t prep breakfast. My boyfriend eats cereal almost every morning and most of the time I don’t eat at all which I know isn’t great. I’ve been trying to get better at it by toasting a bagel in the morning and topping it with cream cheese spread and lunch meat to take to work with me.
These are some staples that I buy pretty much every week.
- Gala apples
- Bananas ( I buy them green so that they last the whole week without over ripening)
- Cold brew coffee
- Oat Milk
- Pancake mix (it was on sale and there are some weekends when I wish we were eating pancakes but I’m too lazy to make them from scratch)*
- Eggs ( I can eat eggs for every meal when I’m at home. They are so easy and there’s so many things that you can do with them)
- Yogurt (for smoothies)
- Lettuce (for the taco bowls obviously)
*This was just a once time thing. I don’ buy it every week
Thank you guys so much for reading my blog post! I hope this gave you some inspiration for your next meal prep session. If you would like to see more content like this please like this post and follow my blog!